Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What, no video games..........

My husband works at a drug and alcohol rehab center, and as much as possible he likes to sit down and chat with the boys. A couple of weeks ago he got into a conversation with a couple of boys about video games, and the way I took it, they think our children are deprived. The topic came up that he should go out and buy our children some games, and my husbands response was, we don't allow video games in our home, and they thought he was a mean daddy. I would like to mention that this may not be for every home, we feel that in our situation this is in the best interest for our children.

1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

I would like to make a list of things that my children do for fun:

1: Read : We all like to read in our home and this is a highlight of the day is to sit down after Bible devotions of an evening and read a few chapters in a book.

2: Crafts : My children love to sit down, cut and glue anything, they also enjoy coloring or
drawing.

3: Chickens : This is something they look forward to doing every morning, going and letting the chickens out to run the yard and checking for eggs ( we only have 1 laying )

4: Chester : This is our dog, and although he can be playful at times they enjoy spending the
day with him.

5: Building : My son loves to build things, bird houses, bird feeders, and sometimes I am not
sure what it is that he is building, but I know that whatever it is he is learning.

6: Cooking : As you all know from my posts Chloe loves to help mommy cook, one of these days
I will be asking her questions.

7: Riding bikes : All three of my older children could ride all day, they love ( even Chloe ) to try
new tricks all the time.

8: Throwing knives : This is something that we enjoy doing as a family.

9: School : Although my oldest don't care much for school, ( what can I say, he is a boy ) Chloe
enjoys it very much.

10: Being Kids : My kids love to be out side playing in the dirt, sand, and water.


I have noticed that most children are talking about what is going to be on T.V. tonight or what level they are in on their hand held game. I am thankful that my children don't even know what is on the T.V, and when it comes to video games they are totally clueless. I see it as, they are out there learning. My husband and I are trying to raise them as the Lord would want us to raise them.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

A lot of the things that they enjoy doing, Gage building, Chloe cooking, is raising them in the way that they should go, Gage being a hard working man :

Proverbs 20:29 The glory of young men is their strength: and the beauty of old men is the grey head.

Chloe being a keeper of the home:

Titus 2 :5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient, to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

My husband and I strongly believe that we as parents would be heading our children in the wrong direction if they sat in front of the T.V. watching something or playing a game.

7 comments:

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

I too have met many folks who view the absence of video games and the Disney Channel as a form of deprivation. When I hear these types of comments I usually ask myself, "I wonder if this person really thinks I'm depriving our children OR is it that they prefer an electronic babysitter so they can over-indulge in their own interests?"
I give you guys TWO thumbs up!!
Mrs. B

Sydney Smith said...

I really wish my parents would do that! They do limit how long we can be on the computer and watch T.V but I still wish we could just do with out it except for the occasional family movie.

Alot of other teens thing I'm deprived because I dont have a cell phone, myspace, or face book. All of which my parents don't think I need and I agree with them! Anyways a very nice post and its nice to hear what your children do =].
I'm going to tell my mom about your blog!

The Watchman said...

Let me say as a recovering video game addict that abstinence is the best protection. Ok, sure that sounds weird, but when it comes to games it's best to not even know what they are like than to try and limit your flesh's exposure to it. When I was a teen I had complete unbridled exposure to all things worldly, and like the kids I work with at the rehab center, was able to play games to my hearts content. But what does the bible say about our hearts... desperately wicked... One particular instance I did not, I repeat did not leave the house for almost 3 months, I played a wicked game that glorified magic nonstop. When it was over I felt depressed and detached from the world. Same as any other addiction. I pray my children never experience that.

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

I LOVE your new layout!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the way you post. you add scripture for your reasoning and that's how it is supposed to be in everything.

Grandma B said...

I have to agree with not allowing children to watch T.V. or play video games as entertainment. As a child, our parents had neither, and I, to this day, do not feel deprived. There is way to much garbage on T.V. and children's minds shouldn't be clouded with such.

Love the layout of your blog...mine is a bit different...I simply post poetry, music, bits of wisdom, etc. Drop by and visit me sometime.....

The K. Family said...

Way to go! Our children have never had TV despite several being given to us over the years. A few of them have graduated, and one is married, and they're all determined to do the same with their children. We do have a "video monitor", a TV with no reception that we occasionally watch a good video on, mainly when we have company and want a way to control what the children do. No, not having a TV or video games, etc, might seem strange but it will protect them from a lot of what's out there that God never intended anyone to see. Enjoy your blog!!